If you ever had a tension headache, you know it can put a damper on your day. The condition can feel like a dull pressure or pounding sensation in or around the skull, and is caused by muscle tension, fatigue, stress, or all the above. Instead of grabbing the pain reliever and shutting down the next time a headache comes on, be proactive and combat your headache with these 2 common stretches:
Chin Tuck Stretch
1. Look straight ahead with back aligned to your head.
2. Gently bend your head forward towards your chest until you feel that gentle stretch at the back of your neck.
3. Hold this position for about 30 seconds and slowly get back to the starting point.
4. Repeat a few more times.
Lateral Flexion Stretch
1. Gently bend your neck to the left side, attempting to touch your left ear to your shoulder.
2. Pause when a stretch is felt in the right side of your neck.
3. Use your hand to gently create a further stretch.
4. Hold this position for about 30 seconds then repeat on the other side.
5. Repeat a few more times on each side.
If you feel a tension headache coming on, follow the stretches above and you will have a better chance at fighting off your head pain!